My Operating System Will Not Install on My SSD
If you are having an issue installing your operating system on your SSD, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure that the drive is detected by the system.
- Update to the latest version of the BIOS from the manufacturer's website.
- For a SATA SSD, if using AHCI mode, download the AHCI driver from the motherboard/system manufacturer's website before installing the operating system. This driver may be required during the install process. You can also try installing the OS in IDE mode instead, then switch back to AHCI mode.
- For a PCIe SSD, confirm you are using an operating system with native NVMe support (for example, Windows 8 or later). If needed, or as an alternative, check our SSD support downloads for your SSD for an applicable NVMe driver to load during OS setup.
- Try connecting the drive to a different colored SATA connector on the motherboard (2.5 inch SSD only).
- If possible, connect the drive to another system and try installing the OS again.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, please contact our Technical Support department for further assistance.
©2019 Micron Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Information, products, and/or specifications are subject to change without notice. Neither Crucial nor Micron Technology, Inc. is responsible for omissions or errors in typography or photography. Micron, the Micron logo, Crucial, and the Crucial logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Micron Technology, Inc. PCI Express and PCIe are registered trademarks of PCI-SIG. NVMe is a registered trademark of NVM Express, Inc. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.